Healthy Habits while at home
Fitness and Nutrition are now more important than ever as we are thrown out of our daily routines due to the COVID-19 Shelter-in-Place regulations.
- Consistency is key: Establish a new daily regimen for yourself and the environment you are in. Since most of us are at home, this would be a great time to explore your neighborhood and use your surroundings.
- Have a support system – go on a walk with your significant other or children if you have the whole family at home. For those of you that live alone, use your walk time to call a friend or family member to catch up. It’s a high likelihood that they are also at home and could also be going on a walk at the same time as you are!
- Write down your activity goal for each day and incorporate it into your work schedule. Treat it like a doctor’s appointment since exercise has just as much importance in your life as visiting the doctor.
- Begin your exercise program one step at a time – literally. Walking is the simplest and most versatile form of exercise. It is easier on your joints than running and can provide aerobic benefits for your body.
- Be patient with yourself so you don’t get burnt out trying to accomplish too much too fast. Just do what you can. Push yourself, but don’t hurt yourself. Try to go just a little farther and longer each day.
A Balanced Diet
- 60% of calories should come from Complex Carbohydrates (whole grains, breads, pastas, fruit, and vegetables)
- 10-20% of calories should be in the form of lean protein like meats, poultry, fish, beans, and peas.
- Less than 20% of your calories should be from fats and sugars
Plan each meal with these basic tips in mind:
- Eat a variety of different foods, including breads, fruits, vegetables, dairy products and a range of protein sources.
- Limit servings of meat, poultry and fish to three ounces after cooking.
- Avoid highly processed or refined foods whenever possible.
- Limit the intake of fats, cholesterol, salt and sugars.
- When drinking alcoholic beverages, do so in moderation.
Client Services Executive
About the author: : With an innate desire for helping others and a vested interest in the healthcare, Kalinda is our customer service guru. She combines her public health background and empathy for others to provide solutions to any problems or issues that our clients may be facing. Her daily goal is to make the day better for someone else and she wants to see our employers succeed in their respective fields. With her thorough communication skills and desire to get to the bottom of a dilemma, she is able to provide helpful resources for our employers and their employees alike.
About Generous Benefits: Generous Benefits (www.GenerousBenefits.com) helps employers improve the lives of the communities they serve.